Interested in becoming a Gray Squirrel Coffee Co. barista? We always like to hear from kind, responsible folks with a passion for coffee and giving customers a truly excellent experience. Please fill out this form, and we'll be in touch if we think there's a place for you on our team.
Gray Squirrel Coffee Co. is proud to be an Orange County Living Wage certified employer.
Reports to: Owner
Works with: Café, Marketing, Roastery
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Availability: Full Time (40 hrs/week)
Gray Squirrel Coffee Co. is looking for a Bakery Director with the leadership, reliability, and inspiration to help take our in-house bakery to the next level. This person will streamline our bakery production, ensuring consistent, abundant, and delicious baked goods every day. The role includes menu development, daily production, scheduling and overseeing a small staff, and collaborating with other departments to create opportunities for growth and great experiences for our customers. The perfect candidate will need to hit the ground running, with experience in commercial baking, recipe development, and supervising a small team.
Bakery Facilities & Production
- Production of daily menu, plus any catering or wholesale orders
- Tracking demand and backstock to determine when and how much product to put out
- Recipe development, and maintaining recipe database and ingredient list
- Pricing recipes and adjusting as needed based on ingredient cost
- Ordering ingredients, supplies, and equipment
- Overseeing cleanliness and maintenance of the bakery and bakery equipment
- Help to maintain 100% score from the health department and work to correct/improve any negative marks related to the bakery
- Hiring and training baking assistants
- Scheduling bakery staff to ensure regular and sufficient output
- Ensure the success of bakery team members through monthly meetings, on-site coaching and advising, and occasional performance reviews
- Hold team members accountable to all Gray Squirrel Coffee Co. standards, including adhering to recipes, procedures, and policies
- Provide materials for bakery-specific marketing, including physical signage and displays, website content, and social media
- Attend all staff and operations team meetings to stay up-to-date with coffee offerings and café changes
- Provide tastings and give bakery updates to non-bakery staff
- Work closely with other departments (i.e. café, marketing, roastery, and wholesale) to improve and grow Gray Squirrel Coffee Co.
- Provide a consistent menu of regular staples plus three rotating seasonal items per quarter
- An abundance of baked goods in the case from opening to closing, every day
- Add a variety of savory options to the menu
- Develop pairings and special product offerings to showcase coffees
- All staff members can speak with confidence about baked goods following tastings and bakery update meetings
- Formal training in baking and pastry arts (bread baking not required, but welcome)
- 1+ years working in a commercial/retail bakery
- Familiarity with menu development and pricing
- Experience leading, training, and supervising a small team and developing cooperative working relationships
- Availability on weekends and early mornings, especially while establishing a team and schedule
- Excellent organizational skills (detail-oriented, goal-oriented, able to follow through)
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about opportunities for growth both personally and for the company
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- The Bakery Director must complete ServSafe® Manager Certification within three months of hiring, keep active certification status, and ensure bakery staff members are trained in safe food handling. (Gray Squirrel Coffee Co. will cover the cost of classes and certification.)
The above is not an all-encompassing list of responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this position. It is intended to be a guideline reflecting the principal activities of the role.